Our process begins by plotting out a Financial Plan that is based on your lifestyle goals. This plan becomes your road map. We view your portfolio as the gas in the car. The roadmap and gas have to work together on your journey to financial independence. You need a map to tell you where you're going. You need gas in the car to get you there. Expect to hit some road bumps along the way, so it's important to monitor the plan, watch the gas, and make adjustments to ensure you stay on track toward financial independence.
Designing the road map
Whether you need specific or comprehensive financial planning advice, we like to start with a plan. The plan will map out the financial goals needed to maintain your current lifestyle and show you different ways to achieve them. We use the following 3-step process in developing a customized plan that is designed based on your needs, wants, and wishes:
- Evaluate your current financial situation and help you define your short and long-term financial goals and objectives.
- Integrate our analysis into a comprehensive Financial Plan and design a suitable portfolio based on your risk tolerance.
- Present our recommendations (with an implementation plan) in an easy-to-understand format.
Keeping an eye on the gas
Once you have your map and know where you are going, it's time to make sure you have enough gas in the car to get you there. We use the following principles for our wealth management approach to help you achieve your lifestyle goals:
- GATHER critical data points to identify your time horizon, risk tolerance, and financial goals.
- DESIGN an investment portfolio with suitable asset allocation that works in conjunction with your Financial Plan.
- MONITOR your portfolio to assess the individual investments to see if they remain appropriately positioned for the current market and economic environment.
- USE Tactical Asset Allocation approach to adjust your particular asset class mix based on the current market and environment.
- KEEP your portfolio turnover low to moderate to reflect a longer term holding period and realize the embedded value of the individual investments.
- REVIEW the portfolio (at least once a year) to determine if the investment mix is in line with your current financial situation and lifestyle goals.
Full speed ahead
The plan itself is a working document that evolves over time as your wants, needs, and wishes change. That's why we implement and monitor the plan under our Active Investment Management (“AIM”) Program. We take advantage of the implementation process to help you consolidate your accounts, update account titling and/or beneficiary designations, as needed. We revisit the plan annually to monitor your progress. There is risk in investing and there are no guarantees that your goals and objectives will be met. However, properly monitoring your plan with your portfolio, and making adjustments when you hit road bumps, will give you the best chance of reaching your goals in the future.